Each of us has different lifestyles and priorities so, when it comes to choosing a retirement community, you want to be sure you’ve weighed all the pros and cons. Baywoods of Annapolis is pleased to provide you with this checklist to use as you search for the right retirement community for you!
Overall Community Considerations
- Is the community located near friends or family who may visit?
- Does the community offer different levels of care to accommodate changing health needs?
- How has the community performed in recent state inspections?
- Does the community allow pets?
- Does the community provide transportation to doctors, shopping or other local activities?
- What are the costs and fees?
- Does the community offer a co-op program to provide additional financial benefits?
- What types of culture, cuisine, and events are offered in the local community?
- Do they have time to speak with you or does it feel rushed?
- Are staff members warm and pleasant when communicating with residents? Or do they seem stressed or overwhelmed?
- Does the staff look happy? Do they seem to enjoy interacting with one another?
Quality & Care Taking
- Do residents look well cared for? Clean clothes, shaven, hair clean and brushed?
- How is medication managed? Paper or computer based?
- Do the open common areas look clean?
- Are meals prepared on-site? Is the menu varied?
- How often is housekeeping provided?
- Does the facility seem safe and secure?
- Are bathrooms easily accessible and do they have grab bars?
- How do residents contact staff in an emergency?
- How is the food? Sample a meal and ask about menu options.
Choosing a retirement community is a very personal decision that should be weighed carefully. Visit the community often, talk with current residents and staff, and sample several meals before making any final decisions. Make sure you feel comfortable and welcome and would enjoy calling this your new home!
At Baywoods of Annapolis, we understand how important this decision is, so we invite you to tour our facility, talk with our staff, engage our residents, and learn all that waterfront co-op retirement living can offer! Contact us today to schedule a tour!